• Fidonet e IPv6

    From Enric Lleal Serra@2:343/107.1 to Todos on Wed Aug 5 07:26:36 2009
    * Originally in ESP.FUNDAM_FIDO
    * Copiado en ESP.INTERNET

    ≠Hola Todos!

    Un interesant°simo escrito de Michiel Van Der Vlist, el actual Administrador de
    FTSC, aparecido en la £ltima FidoNews.

    GENERAL ARTICLES

    FidoNet and IPv6
    By Michiel van der Vlist 2:280/5555

    It seems to be a human trait, almost as if it is in the genes: to
    grossly underestimate the effects of growth. Tom Jennings version 1 of
    the BBS/mailer programme Fido had room for 1024 nodes. This was
    quickly corrected by first adding nets, then zones and last but not
    least: points, The fionet address space is 60 bits wide. There is room
    for 1.15*10^18 or just over one trillion nodes. (In the European
    number naming system.) As Fidonet is no longer growing, there is no
    danger of Fidonet ever running out of address space. This contrary to
    the InterNet. In the classic internet numbering system (IPv4) there is
    room for 2^32 or just over four milliard addresses. Again using the
    European number naming system. Note that FidoNet has a much larger
    addressing space than the InterNet.

    Not all of the mathematically available numbers in a 32 bit wide
    number are available as public IP adresses. Some adressem have been
    reserved for special purposes. Some 3.6 milliard addresses are
    available for unique public addresses, Of these only 11% are now
    unallocated and it is expected that the IANA will run our of their
    pool of unassigned addresses within two years. That does not mean that
    the last IPv4 address will be issued then, there is still the pools
    administered by the five Regional Internet Registries, Their pools are
    expected to last at least another nine month. These projections may be
    inaccurate, but one thing is certain: the IPv4 numbers will run out in
    a couple of years. This article is nopt abpout when exactly it will
    happen, this is about the consequences for Fidonet when it happens.

    The remarkable thing is that the InterNet community is so slow to take
    action. The next generation standard, IPv6 was already drafted in 1990
    or so but only now do we see some attempts to get ISP's and end users
    interested. Well, better late than never, IPv6 is coming. In The
    Netherlands major ISP Xs4ALL started offering native IPv6 to end
    users.

    So how will this effect FidoNet? Maybe not at all. That the IPv4
    addresses run out, does not mean that IPv4 will go out like a lamp. It
    is not like the oil running out, and all cars coming to a halt. The IP
    numbers that were assigned can still be used and The IPv4 network can
    and will co-exist with the IPv6 network for years if not for decades
    to come. It is just that no new IPv4 numbers will be issued. Maybe
    FidoNet will die before any problem emerges. Maybe the depletion of
    IPv4 numbers will only affect new sysops. Or maybe not...

    I see two scenarios:

    1) ISP's will go IPv6 and new users will only get IPv6 addresses. In
    Europe there is some pressure from "above" to get moving with the
    transition to IPv6. The European Commission has decreed that by 2010,
    25% of all users must be IPv6 capable. I do not know if that target
    will be reached, but at least there is some pressure. So ISP's will
    probably migrate to IPv6 when their pool of IPv4 addresses for end
    users runs out.

    2) In the US and other countries where there is less pressure, ISP's
    may choose a "solution" that requires less long term investment. They
    may choose to no longer issue public addresses to their end users, but
    put them behind a NAT and issue them IPv4 numbers in a private range
    (10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x). If that happens it will affect FidoNet big
    time, because it will effectively stop end users from running servers.
    Many ISP's do not like end users running servers and this might just
    be the excuse to curb the practise. They may- or may not - offer a
    public IP at extra cost.

    The answer in both case is to go IPv6. It is a common misunderstanding
    that users must wait for their ISP to go IPv6. But one does not have
    to wait for the ISP. One can use an IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel. There are
    dozens of so called "tunnel brokers" where one can get a tunnel to a
    so called Point of Presence. Some do it for free, some ask a fee. All
    "new" operating systems have IPv6 already build in. Windows from XP
    on, Linux, and MAC-Oos have it, it just needs to be turned on. For
    Window 2000 there is an add-on.

    Getting access to the IPv6 infrastructure is not all that hard. But of
    course that is not enough. The applications must also be IPv6 capable.
    For the "popular" stuff like browsers and e-mail agents, that is no
    problem. But what about the Fidonet stuff? Well, there is some work to
    do. Of the known IP mailers none support IPv6 at present. We can
    probably forget about the none open source stuff like Irex. Most of it
    is abandonware, so there is no way to add IPv6 capability, The best
    hope is probably for binkd as that is open source and so adding IPv6
    capability should not be all that hard. Argus/Taurus/Radius may also
    be an option. although the developers have abandoned it, the source is
    available, so there is hope.

    But if we can not uograde our FidoNet software to support IPv6 and
    ISP's force us to use IPv6 on;y, there us still another trick: IPv4
    over IPv6 tunneling. If every node instaal IPv4 over IPv6 tunnel
    software, we can build our own virtual private IPv4 network and run
    Fido over IP over that. It is a bit of a kludge, but it can be done if
    the need arises.

    Most important is that we regain the pioneer spirit that once was so
    prevalent in FidoNet . There was a time when FidoNet was a leader in
    network communication, instead of bunch of old farts in wheel chairs
    thet just keeps rolling on inertia. BBSing and FidoNet were a driving
    force behind the modem industry. We - the sysops - were pioneers. Let
    us do it again. Let us see the conversion to IPv6 as a challenge.
    Instaed of just waiting for the inevitable to happen, let us make an
    active contribution. Let us be a the louse in the hide of the ISP's as
    we once were for the telcos. Let us nag them to get moving with IPv6.
    Let us make our systems available through IPv6 and so make a
    contribution towards better global communication.